Gene Therapy: Current Treatment Options and Likely Near-Term Developments

By Mark T. Edwards

Non-Viral Systems

It is against the backdrop of these safety concerns that non-viral vectors have been developed. Non-viral methods have several potential advantages over viral methods including risk free repeat administration (Lam & Dean, 2010), relative ease of large scale production and low host immunogenicity (Al-Dosari & Gao, 2009). Historically low levels of transfection and expression, caused by inability to breach cellular barriers and access the host DNA, have held non-viral vectors back (Atkinson & Chalmers, 2010) and as Lam and Dean (2010) point out; viral vectors have had millennia to evolve efficient methods of infecting hosts with their DNA, non-viral methods have not. The issue is that the gene of interest must get past the membrane of the nucleus and into the host chromatin without being damaged, in order to be expressed; this is now achievable in a number of ways.

Table 2. Some of the major types of viral vector used in gene therapy with DNA incorporation type and summary of main advantages and disadvantages. Data from (Mountain, 2000; Kay et al., 2001; Thomas et al., 2003).

Table 2

The simplest method of non-viral transfection uses naked DNA and this was first demonstrated in vivo when Wolff et al. (1990) injected protein expression vectors directly into murine models, although the effects of this were fairly long lasting they were only very local. There are a number of other non-viral methods of delivering naked DNA each of which has advantages and disadvantages (Table 3).

Another promising non-viral route involves biochemical vectors. Like other non-viral routes these have low toxicity and low immunogenicity (Al-Dosari & Gao, 2009). The plasmid DNA is packaged in cationic lipids (often cholesterol) which bond well with anionic DNA and also interact with the cell membrane allowing the whole complex access to the cytoplasm where the lipids are absorbed and the plasmid released (Niidome & Huang, 2002). A similar system exists using biocompatible, biodegradable polymers these can be administered intravenously or into airways by aerosol and are used to treat cancer and cystic fibrosis (Al-Dosari & Gao, 2009).

Table 3. Summary of most common direct methods of integrating naked DNA directly into host cells. Data from (Niidome and Huang, 2002; Al-Dosari and Gao, 2009; Lam and Dean, 2010).

Table 3

The Future of Gene Therapy

The future must involve fewer viral vectors and increased use of direct insertion of naked DNA, or where that is not feasible, the use of biochemical vectors. Nano particles also offer potential as future vectors. Transfection rates will increase as specificity and cell targeting improves. However mutation of diseases, such as cancer and HIV, is likely to mean that the arms race between clinicians and diseases will continue unabated.

Acknowledgements

Thanks to Enrico Ferrari for guidance and comments on an earlier version of this work.

Alberts, B. (2010). Essential cell biology (Vol. 3, p. 23,28,60,731). New York London: Garland Science.

Al-Dosari, M. S., & Gao, X. (2009). Nonviral gene delivery: principle, limitations, and recent progress. The AAPS Journal, 11(4), 671–681.

Anon. (2013). HIV facts > Latest UK Statistics.

Atkinson, H., & Chalmers, R. (2010). Delivering the goods: viral and non-viral gene therapy systems and the inherent limits on cargo DNA and internal sequences. Genetica, 138(5), 485–498.

Büning, H. (2013). Gene therapy enters the pharma market: The short story of a long journey. EMBO Molecular Medicine, 5(1), 1–3.

Campbell, N. A., & Reece, J. B. (2008). Biology. The Benjamin/Cummings series in the life sciences (Vol. 8th, pp. 1267, various). San Francisco London: Pearson.

Cross, D., & Burmester, J. K. (2006). Gene therapy for cancer treatment: past, present and future. Clinical Medicine & Research, 4(3), 218–227.

Culver, K. W., & Blaese, M. R. (1994). Gene therapy for cancer. Trends in Genetics, 10(5), 174–178.

Evans, C. H., & Robbins, P. D. (1995). Current concepts review: possible orthopaedic applications of gene therapy. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery-A-American Volumes, 77(7), 1103–1115.

Gopalan, B., Ito, I., Branch, C. D., Stephens, C., Roth, J. A., & Ramesh, R. (2004). Nanoparticle based systemic gene therapy for lung cancer: molecular mechanisms and strategies to suppress nanoparticle-mediated inflammatory response. Technology in Cancer Research & Treatment, 3(6), 647.

Hirsch, M. S., Günthard, H. F., Schapiro, J. M., Vézinet, F. B., Clotet, B., Hammer, S. M., … Pillay, D. (2008). Antiretroviral drug resistance testing in adult HIV-1 infection: 2008 recommendations of an International AIDS Society-USA panel. Clinical Infectious Diseases, 47(2), 266–285.

Kay, M. A., Glorioso, J. C., & Naldini, L. (2001). Viral vectors for gene therapy: the art of turning infectious agents into vehicles of therapeutics. Nature Medicine, 7(1), 33–40.

Lam, a P., & Dean, D. a. (2010). Progress and prospects: nuclear import of nonviral vectors. Gene Therapy, 17(4), 439–47. doi:10.1038/gt.2010.31

Marathe, J., & Wooley, D. (2007). Is gene therapy a good therapeutic approach for HIV-positive patients? Genetic Vaccines and Therapy, 5(1), 5.

Miller, N., & Vile, R. (1995). Targeted vectors for gene therapy. The FASEB Journal, 9(2), 190–199.

Mountain, A. (2000). Gene therapy: the first decade. Trends in Biotechnology, 18(3), 119–128.

Niidome, T., & Huang, L. (2002). Gene therapy progress and prospects: nonviral vectors. Gene Therapy, 9(24), 1647–1652.

Richman, D. D., Morton, S. C., Wrin, T., Hellmann, N., Berry, S., Shapiro, M. F., & Bozzette, S. A. (2004). The prevalence of antiretroviral drug resistance in the United States. Aids, 18(10), 1393.

Ritter, T., Lehmann, M., & Volk, H.-D. (2002). Improvements in Gene Therapy. BioDrugs, 16(1), 3–10.

Roitt, I. M., Delves, P. J., Martin, S. J., & Burton, D. R. (2006). Roitt’s essential immunology (Vol. 11th, p. 474). Oxford: Blackwell Science.

Scherer, L. J., & Rossi, J. J. (2011). Ex vivo gene therapy for HIV-1 treatment. Human Molecular Genetics, 20(R1), R100–R107.

Seeley, R. R., Stephents., T. D., & Tate, P. (2000). Anatomy & physiology. Student study art notebook (Vol. 5th). Boston, Mass.: WCB/McGraw Hill.

Somia, N., & Verma, I. M. (2000). Gene therapy: trials and tribulations. Nature Reviews Genetics, 1(2), 91–99.

Thomas, C. E., Ehrhardt, A., & Kay, M. A. (2003). Progress and problems with the use of viral vectors for gene therapy. Nature Reviews Genetics, 4(5), 346–358.

Tuszynski, M. H., Thal, L., Pay, M., & Salmon, D. P. (2005). A phase 1 clinical trial of nerve growth factor gene therapy for Alzheimer disease. Nature Medicine, 11(5), 551–555.

Verma, I. M., & Somia, N. (1997). Gene therapy-promises, problems and prospects. Nature, 389(6648), 239–242.

Wolff, J. A., Malone, R. W., Williams, P., Chong, W., Acsadi, G., Jani, A. and, & Felgner, P. L. (1990). Direct gene transfer into mouse muscle in vivo. Science, 247(4949), 1465–1468.

Parkinson’s disease (PD), a progressive neurodegerative disorder most prevalent in the elderly and for which there is currently no cure, selectively targets nigrostriatal Dopaminergic (DAergic) projection neurons in the substantia nigra pars compacta (SNpc), which generates a consequential loss of Dopamine (DA) in the striatum (ST) (1). Because of the involvement of DA in voluntary movement, the resulting alteration in basal ganglia circuitry... MORE»

Latest in Biology

Sociobiology is a sub-discipline of biology that aims to examine and explain social behavior in terms of evolution. It is interdisciplinary in nature, drawing from disciplines including psychology, ethology, anthropology, evolution, zoology, archaeology... Read Article »
Transposable elements (TEs), also referred to as ‘jumping genes’, are sequences of DNA located in the eukaryotic genome that have the ability to mobilize. This functional mobilization allows TEs to insert at random positions throughout... Read Article »
The Ras/Raf pathway is a crucial cell signaling pathway utilized by eukaryotic cells for growth and proliferation, and it is highly conserved amongst all eukaryotic organisms. Mutations in this pathway lead to uncontrolled growth and proliferation... Read Article »
Published by Discussions
Electronic cigarettes (E-cigarettes) are devices that effectively deliver vaporized liquid nicotine to the lungs and are commercially available as a nicotine replacement therapy that is safer than conventional tobacco smoking. However, there is... Read Article »
Published by Discussions
To maintain sodium (Na+) homeostasis in a hypotonic environment, freshwater teleosts must constantly absorb Na+ through their gills. Teleosts in temperate climates have the extra challenge of living in an environment in which ambient temperatures... Read Article »
Published by Discussions
The increasing level of obesity in the general population of industrialized nations is a major public health concern. While obesity increases morbidity and mortality, increasing body habitus also impacts the utilization and analysis of medical imaging... Read Article »
Published by Discussions
With the advent of antiretroviral therapy, suppressing the HIV-1 virus and stopping the progression of the disease are now possible. Even with long-term antiretroviral therapy, HIV reservoirs remain in individuals. These individuals experience an... Read Article »