Faux Activism in Recent Female-Empowering Advertising

By Alyssa Baxter
Elon Journal of Undergraduate Research in Communications

VII. Discussion and Limitations

The content analysis led the author to conclude that the content analysis supports the initial thesis that ad-her-tising is nothing more than a trend that gets individuals to buy products. By participating in this trend, companies are taking advantage of feminism as a legitimate source of activism. The goal of the companies is to make the consumer believe they are passionate about a cause while not necessarily believing in the messages they publicize.

This is especially apparent in examining the male-targeted advertisements in which women are treated as no more than a prop and exhibit vast anti-feminist ideas. Women in the male-targeted advertisements analyzed said no more than one sentence in each advertisement. The women were also either scantily clad in bikinis, presented as a prize in a tight-fitting evening dress, or shown in what is commonly discussed as one of a man’s favorite outfits, a sundress. The images of women in these advertisements show the opposite of feminist ideals and contradict their sister-company’s efforts to promote female empowerment.

Ultimately, faux activism exists within the beauty industry and even within ad-her-tising. What is important is to recognize that companies practice faux activism and only jump on a trend if it contributes to profits. The trend of brand activism is also elevating the ad-her-tising trend and making it more pronounced as it reached new heights during the summer months of 2014. In the midst of a third-wave of feminism, brands’ faux activism can cloud messages that are actually important to the feminist movement in order to gain consumers and larger sales. Arguably, while ad-her-tising does increase awareness of feminism through femaleempowering advertisements, which does aid in the third-wave movement, ad-her-tising is indeed more like a marketing trend with little substance behind it.

Ultimately, the findings show that it may not be possible for a company with multiple brands to extend empowerment views across all of them without alienating certain consumers. When the same parent companies manage different brands with different goals, it may not be possible for a brand to have a completely valid stance in activism.

This study has some limitations. As part of requirements for a semester course, this research was conducted in a short time frame of 14 weeks. If more time were allowed, additional data could have been gathered directly from research participants who could testify to consumer projections of ad-her-tising. This information would have aided in defining how consumers perceive the ads and if they think companies are practicing faux activism. More studies on ad-her-tising can be conducted to analyze not only the messages the brands send out and the faux activism they practice, but also their effects on society and the consumer. Of course, the sample size of videos could have been larger for more valid results.

VIII. Conclusion

Following this study, it can be concluded that while brands seem to support gender equality and feminism through female-empowering advertisements, the companies are actually practicing faux activism. This is seen through the contradicting messages of the brands Unilever and Procter & Gamble promote and the anti-feminist messages their male-targeted brands send through advertising.

The implications of this research is that ad-her-tisement messages do not have a ring of validity to them when the brands send them out to participate in a trend as a tactic to turn a profit. The result suggests that caution should be taken when consumers support a brand solely because of its ad-her-tisement.

While this research does support the notion that companies are jumping on the feminist advertising trend to turn a profit, this study cannot be generalized to all brands that have practiced ad-her-tising as a marketing tactic since this study highlighted only two companies.

Acknowledgments

This author is thankful to Dr. David Copeland, A.J. Flectcher Professor at Elon University, for his supervision and advice, without which the article could not be published. The author also appreciates numerous reviewers who have helped revise this article.

1. “#QuickHit: Using Feminism to Leverage Marketing Strategies.” ShoutOut JMU. 5 May 2014. Web. 6 Nov. 2014.
  2. “Always #LikeAGirl.” Online video clip. Youtube. 26 Jun. 2014. Web. Nov. 19 2014.
  3. AXE. “AXE Hair: The Clean Cut Look (:30).” Online video clip. Youtube. 29 Feb. 2014. Web. Nov 19 2014.
  4. Bailik, Carl. “Who Makes the Call at the Mall, Men or Women? The Wall Street Journal. Dow Jones & Company, 23 Apr. 2011. Web. 6 Nov. 2014.
  5. Boundless. “Gender Roles and Differences.” Boundless Psychology. Boundless, 14 Nov. 2014. Retrieved 19 Nov. 2014
  6. Cone, Carol L., Mark A. Feldman and Alison T. DaSilva. “Align Your Brand With a Social Cause.” Harvard Business School Working Knowledge. 14 July 2003. Web. 6 Nov. 2014.
  7. “Definition of Consumerism.” Oxford Learner’s Dictionaries. 1 Jan. 2014. Web. 6 Nov. 2014.
  8. doveunitedstates. “Dove: Patches.” Online video clip. Youtube. 9 Apr. 2014. Web. Nov. 19 2014.
  9. Forward, David. “Procter & Gamble Vs. Unilever: Comparing 2 Consumer Staples Giants.” Seeking Alpha. 3 Mar. 2013. Web. 6 Nov. 2014.
  10. Gillette. “First Girlfriend vs. First Real Girlfriend | Gillette Commercial.” Online video clip. Youtube. 14 Jun. 2014. Web. Nov. 19 2014.
  11. Johnson, Chandra. “How Feminism and Marketing Became Bedfellows—and How It’s Changing.” Deseret News. 1 Sept. 2014. Web. 6 Nov. 2014.
  12. Johnston, Josée, and Judith Taylor. “Feminist Consumerism And Fat Activists: A Comparative Study of Grassroots Activism And The Dove Real Beauty Campaign.” Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society (2008): 941-66. JSTOR. Web. 6 Nov. 2014
  13. Lueptow, Kelsey. “Feminism Now: What the Third Wave Is Really About.” Everyday Feminism. 10 Jan. 2014. Web. 6 Nov. 2014.
  14. Mack-Canty, Colleen. “Third-Wave Feminism And The Need To Reweave The Nature/Culture Duality.” NWSA Journal 16.3 (2004): 154-179. JSTOR. Web. 6 Nov. 2014.
  15. Mahdawi, Arwa. “How Feminism Became a Great Way to Sell Stuff.” The Guardian. 23 Apr. 2014. Web. 5 Nov. 2014.
  16. O’Barr, William M. “A Brief History of Advertising in America.” Advertising & Society Review (2005) Print.
  17. Old Spice. “Old Spice | Hot Tub.” Online video clip. Youtube. 15 Oct. 2014. Web. Nov. 19 2014.
  18. Pantene. “Not Sorry | #ShineStrong Pantene.” Online video clip. Youtube. Youtube. 18 Jun. 2014. Web. Nov. 19 2014.
  19. Plank, Elizabeth. “10 Worst Ways Companies Have Used Feminism to Sell Women Products.” Mic. 26 June 2014. Web. 6 Nov. 2014.
  20. Polatis, Kandra. “Buy This, Empower Women: How Advertisers Use Feminism.” Deseret News National. 5 May 2014. Web. 6 Nov. 2014.
  21. Snyder, R. Claire. “What Is Third Wave Feminism? A New Directions Essay.” Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society 34.1 (2008): 175-196. JSTOR. Web. 14 Dec. 2014.
  22. “Statistics Every Cause Marketer Should Know.” Cause Marketing Forum. Web. 6 Nov. 2014.
  23. Weaver, Hilary. “’Girl-Positive’ Ad Campaigns Support Feminist Consumer Discourse.” PSFK. 2 July 2014. Web. 6 Nov. 2014.
  24. Williams, Eliza. “Brands Join New Wave of Feminism.” Creative Review. 1 July 2014. Web. 6 Nov. 2014.
  25. Zeisler, Andi. “Worst Sales Pitch Ever: The Ad Industry’s Shameless History of Using Feminism to Sell Products.” Salon. 21 July 2014. Web. 5 Nov. 2014.
  26. Zmuda, Natalie, and Ann-Christine Diaz. “Female Empowerment in Ads: Soft Feminism or Soft Soap?” Advertising Age. 2 Sept. 2014. Web. 6 Nov. 2014.

Latest in Business & Communications

This research lies at the nexus of political communication theory relating to emotional affect and political processing and the burgeoning field of sentiment analysis. News coverage can affect opinion both through the information it provides and... Read Article »
This research study explores factors that present barriers to reporting workplace incidents and contribute to cultures of non-report. The research purpose was to explore human, workplace/organizational, and external factors identified by industrial... Read Article »
In its beta release, Google Glass was positioned as a groundbreaking technology - a glimpse into a future that has long been promised in science fiction. It was met with media fanfare and consumer interest, despite costing more than most PCs on... Read Article »
Predicting the future of the news industry begins with understanding the history of newspapers and the current news delivery landscape. Because the Internet has brought fundamental shifts to news distribution, successful organizations of the future... Read Article »
Instagram allows users to share a snapshot of their lives with a mass audience in a matter of seconds. This capability and power has not gone unnoticed by celebrities, who are highly aware of the impact their social media accounts have on fans and... Read Article »
Since its development, YouTube, the world's third most popular online destination, has transformed from a video-sharing site into a job opportunity for content creators in both new and mainstream media. Based on content analysis, the study examined... Read Article »
Today, more than 15 million Americans practice yoga, making the ancient Indian discipline synonymous with the Western society's culture of wellness. As a way to market themselves, practitioners and instructors of yoga have utilized Instagram &ndash... Read Article »