Soil Pollution From Recycling Centers: Case Study Analysis from the Campus of Michigan State University

By Kaycee Morra Et. Al.

Conclusions

It is crucial that we conduct more studies of this nature so that we can continue to make advancements in areas such as recycling, in terms of reducing the negative anthropogenic impact on the environment. Future studies may compare the environmental effects of recycling facilities that are not LEED certified to those that are. Potentially, facilities that are not LEED certified would have a greater effect on the local environment than those facilities that are LEED certified. Results from a study like this could be instrumental in raising the national environmental standards of recycling centers. Whereas our study involved soil analysis, future studies could also investigate effects of recycling facilities on local plant and animal life.

This study pertains to an ongoing ecological topic; as our knowledge grows of how anthropogenic processes affect the environment, we are better able to limit the negative consequences such processes. Soil is increasingly being recognized as a reliable cue of overall ecosystem well-being. Thus, being able to quantify soil health will be a useful tool in regulating the entire ecosystem. Having a comprehensive depiction of what healthy soil should look like will allow scientists to isolate variables that cause deviations from ideal soil condition. Being equipped with this knowledge will allow scientists to more effectively prevent such deviations from occurring, thus preserving ecosystem health.

Acknowledgements

Special thanks to Jameel Al-Haddad of Michigan State University for guidance in developing this experiment, providing resources associated with this project—including access to the soil analysis kit and the laboratory—and for editing this article. Special thanks to Dr. Matthew Morra of Idaho University for editing this paper, as well.

All-recycling-facts.com. (n.d.) History of Recycling. Interesting Recycling Facts. Retrieved from http://www.all-recycling-facts.com/history-of-recycling.html

Bauer, M. (2011, March 31). The Negative Effects of Recycling Paper. Living Well. Retrieved from http://www.livestrong.com/article/159591-the-negative-effects-of-recycling-paper/

Bell, J., Honour, S., & Power, S. (2011). Effects of vehicle exhaust emissions on urban wild plant species. Environmental Pollution, 159(8), 1984-1990.

Boto, K. (1983). Nutrient status and other soil factors affecting mangrove productivity in North-East Australia. Wetlands (Australia), 3(1), 45-50.

Doran, J. & Zeiss, M. (2000) Soil health and sustainability: managing the biotic component of soil quality. Applied Soil Ecology, 15, 3-11.

Illinois Department of Public Health. (n.d.). Landfill Gas. Environmental Health Fact Sheet. Retrieved on 1 Oct 2011 from http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/factsheets/landfillgas.htm

LePree, J. (2010). SCR: New and Improved. Chemical Engineering, 117, 22-24.

Michigan State University Campus Planning & Administration. (n.d.) Sanford Natural Area.

Michigan State University Natural Areas. Retrieved from http://www.cpa.msu.edu/nat_area/sanford.html

Mitchell, M. (2011). Nitrate dynamics of forested watersheds: spatial and temporal patterns in North America, Europe and Japan. Journal of Forest Research, 16(5), 333-340.

MSU Department of Fisheries and Wildlife. (n.d.) History of Baker Woodlot. Rachana Rajendra Bird Sanctuary. Retrieved from http://www.fw.msu.edu/Rajendra/history.htm

MSU Surplus Store & Recycling Center. (n.d.). Facility: Green building features. Michigan State University Recycling. Retrieved from http://recycle.msu.edu/about/facility/

Olivieri, G., Romani, A., & Neri, P. (2006). Environmental and economic analysis of aluminum recycling through life cycle assessment. International Journal of Sustainable Development and World Ecology, 13, 269-276.

Papastergios, G., Filippidis, A., Fernandez-Turiel J. L., Gimeno, D., & Sikalidis, C. (2010). Natural and anthropogenic effects on the soil geochemistry of Kavala Area, Northern Greece. Bulletin of the Geological Society of Greece, 43(5), 2373-2382.

Rousk, J., Baath, E., Brookes, P. C., Lauber, C. L., Lozupone, C., Caporaso, J. G., Knight, R., & Fierer, N. (2010). Soil bacterial and fungal communities across a pH gradient in an arable soil. The ISME Journal, 4, 1340-1351.

Spencer, H, & Port, G. (1988). Effects of roadside conditions on plants and insects. Journal of Applied Ecology, 25, 709-715.

Stevenson, B, Parfitt, R., Schipper, L., Baisden, W., & Mudge, P. (2010). Relationship between soil 15N, C/N and N losses across land uses in New Zealand. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 139, 736-741.

Thomas, S., Scheele, C., Trouilloud, W., & Rollins, S. (editors). (2008, Summer). Ecology Laboratory Manual, Michigan State University. 184, 196, 197, 200-202.

Twigg, M. V. (2007). Progress and future challenges in controlling automotive exhaust gas emissions. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 70, 2-15.

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. (2011, July 26). Recycling Basics. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Retrieved from http://www.epa.gov/waste/conserve/rrr/recycle.html

Vitousek, P. M., Gosz, J. R., Grier, C. C., Melillo, J. M., Reiners, W. A., & Todd, R. L. (1979). Nitrate Losses from Disturbed Ecosystems. Science, 204(4392), 469-474.

With over 20% of United States power production being of a nuclear nature, and all of this nuclear production generating high-level nuclear waste, the US has already accumulated large quantities of volatile nuclear waste and will only have more in the future (Schneider, 2009). Currently, there are few options for dealing with nuclear waste. Although research and development of storage/remediation methods is ongoing, current waste that has accumulated... MORE»

Latest in Environmental Studies

After thousands of years of innovation, humankind has shaped the modern world into a new planetary epoch: the Anthropocene. This paper connects the human propensity to carve our comfortable, convenient civilizations into our local environments with... Read Article »
Though electronic products are ubiquitous in the modern Western world, most people are not aware of the origins of the batteries that power devices such as laptop computers and mobile phones. Lithium-ion batteries, though used primarily in wealthy... Read Article »
Climate change is already altering our biosphere and is projected to bring about monumental changes to our planet’s environment, changes which are unprecedented in human history. Numerous social groups have drawn upon a wide assortment of... Read Article »
Is it possible to objectively define the Anthropocene? This essay argues that whether or not it is precisely definable as a geological epoch, its true value, as a concept grounded in futurity, lies within the social realm. The origins of the term... Read Article »
Postmaterialist values, those that emphasize higher-order human needs, have become widely accepted as the determining force behind environmentalism in the West. Little research has been dedicated to studying the importance of these values outside... Read Article »
In Gallup’s 2016 environment poll, 64 percent of U.S. adults are now worried a “great deal” or “fair amount” about global warming, with a record 65 percent attributing warming primarily to human activities (1). These... Read Article »
Despite all the information we have regarding climate change and the potential perils of continuing on our path of consumption, people are slow to make the necessary changes. Our tendency to live habitually and the dampening effect continuous negative... Read Article »