Asceticism in the Modern World: The Religion of Self-Deprivation

By Betsy C. Chadbourn

Asceticism: a Place in Modernity?

So what place, if any, does asceticism have in modernity? Does it take leaving the world behind to become spiritually enlightened? Does one need to encounter God to be a devoted ascetic? Whilst there has been a migration away from the ‘organized religion’, a startling number of individuals have sought enlightenment through food; dieting, eating disorders, vegetarianism.

We have seen that yes, indeed, asceticism is still rife amongst the consuming community, now holding a more inclusive connotation than documented in antiquity; leaving the world behind is thankfully, unnecessary. It has a place. And a new-found form. Modernity has made asceticism its own: a hedonistic asceticism for the ‘every man’. And although God-induced asceticism is still in practice, faith isn’t a requirement. Even Christians are free to make their own rules regarding consumption, despite one of the most ancient food rules still existing at the liturgical centre: the Eucharist.

The societies of our world cannot prevent asceticism from growing in popularity; but it depends on themselves whether the principle of abstinence is to lead them to servitude or freedom, to pain or enlightenment, to faith or to spirituality.

Bordo, Susan. Unbearable Weight: Feminism, Western Culture, and the Body, 1st ed. California: University of California Press, 1993.

Bynum, Caroline Walker. Holy Feast and Holy Fast: The Religious Significance of Food to Medieval Women. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1987.

Grumett, David. “Food and Theology” from Ken Albala (ed), Routledge International Handbook of Food Studies (2013): 158-164.

Kreml, Patricia. Slim for Him: Biblical Devotions on Diet. Netherlands: Logos International, 1978.

Lelwica, Michelle Mary. Starving for Salvation: The Spiritual Dimensions of Eating Problems among American Girls and Women. New York: Oxford University Press, 1999.

Lupton, Deborah. Food, the Body and the Self. London: SAGE Publication Ltd., 1996.

MacKendrick, Karmen. Counterpleasures. New York: State University of New York Press, 1999.

Shamblin, Gwen. Rise Above: God Can Set You Free From Your Weight Problems Forever. Nashville: Thomas Nelson Incorporated, 2000.

Ascetic. Accessed November 13, 2013. Available from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ascetic.

Anorexia. Accessed October 9, 2013. Available from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anorexic.

The Compelling Spiritual Discipline of Asceticism. Accessed November 2, 2013. Available from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/norris-j-chumley-phd/the-value-of-asceticism t_b_806700.html.

1.) Ascetic (accessed November 13, 2013); available from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ascetic.

2.) The Compelling Spiritual Discipline of Asceticism (accessed November 2, 2013); available from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/norris-j-chumley-phd/the-value-of-asceticism-t_b_806700.html.

3.) Anorexia (accessed October 9, 2013); available from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anorexic.

4.) Susan Bordo, Unbearable Weight: Feminism, Western Culture, and the Body, 1st ed. (California: University of California Press, 1993), 12.

5.) Michelle Mary Lelwica, Starving for Salvation: The Spiritual Dimensions of Eating Problems among American Girls and Women (New York: Oxford University Press, 1999), 75.

6.) Caroline Walker Bynum, Holy Feast and Holy Fast: The Religious Significance of Food to Medieval Women (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1987), 197.

7.) Ibid., 203.

8.) Ibid., 204.

9.) Patricia Kreml, Slim for Him: Biblical Devotions on Diet (Netherlands: Logos International, 1978), 15.

10.) Gwen Shamblin, Rise Above: God Can Set You Free From Your Weight Problems Forever (Nashville: Thomas Nelson Incorporated, 2000), 11.

11.) Lelwica, 76.

12.) Ibid., 76.

13.) David Grumett, “Food and Theology” from Ken Albala (ed), Routledge International Handbook of Food Studies (2013): 162.

14.) Lelwica, 68.

15.) Deborah Lupton, Food, the Body and the Self (London: SAGE Publication Ltd., 1996), 142.

16.) Grumett, 164.

17.) Karmen MacKendrick, Counterpleasures (New York: State University of New York Press, 1999), 65.

18.) Ibid., 81.

Eating disorders have plagued society for many centuries. Since the ancient times of Saint Catherine of Siena and Julius Caesar to the modern era of the late Princess Diana of Wales and singing phenomenon Karen Carpenter, men and women have used food as a way to control the human physique. In the eyes of many people, it is believed that by achieving the perfect body, through any means necessary, one can achieve the acceptance of others and ultimately... MORE»

Latest in Opinion

With right-wing populists gaining power and electoral campaigns everywhere becoming more virulent, many are calling for a return to individualism and rationality. But, at least in countries like today’s Poland, such pleas fail to take into... Read Article »
Imagine the vast spectrum of all the cultures in the world. Listen to the music—from the gentle drum beats of Africa, to the melodic didgeridoo of Australia, to the scream of the electric guitar. Taste the curry from India, the coconut milk... Read Article »
At 7am in the morning after the Referendum on Scottish Independence, a triumphant David Cameron stood on the steps of number 10 Downing Street and announced to the world that the Scottish people had, with 55% of the electorate voting No, comprehensively... Read Article »
As the lights dropped and I sank into my seat, I thought I was ready for 12 Years a Slave, the 2013 film adaptation of Solomon Northup's 1853 slave narrative. I was expecting a movie, a story told with images, music and sound. But, what I witnesssed... Read Article »
In a previous article I wrote about fine-tuning in the Universe and the empirical evidence for a Grand Designer that can be found within our reality. This argument of course occurs within the context of ongoing fiery debate between theists and secular... Read Article »
In today’s society, the categorization of gender in our educational system is leading to a socialization of masculinity and femininity, which is reaffirmed by gender-biased curriculum, testing, and activities. By attempting to define gender... Read Article »
The copious amounts of forgotten and disregarded food that are tossed mindlessly into our landfills are a global travesty of massive proportions. Americans alone waste enough food in a day to transform the Rose Bowl, a football stadium capable of... Read Article »