Tragedy in the Ideas of Friedrich Nietzsche and Oscar Wilde

By Nicolas L. Noble

Philosopher and classicist Allan Bloom (1987) notes that the study of ancient Greece and Rome has followed “the ebb and flow of philosophic innovation in the west. Moments of great transformation have started with refreshment at the Greek source, its inspiration slaking a burning thirst. . . . Greece provides assurance that there was something better than what is” (p. 304).

Suffering draws individuals together, as an audience seated before the tragic stage of life, thus remedying the most terrible kind of suffering that afflicted the lives of Nietzsche and Wilde: loneliness.

Nietzsche’s (2000a) The Birth of Tragedy and Wilde’s (1996) De Profundis are both the products of transformation. The Birth of Tragedy marks Nietzsche’s personal transformation from philologist to philosopher. At the conclusion of the work, he calls for a great Dionysian revival of German art achieved through the invention of German myth, as exemplified in the operas of Richard Wagner, to whom the book is dedicated. “My friends, you who believe in Dionysian music, you also know what tragedy means to us. . . . You understand my words—as you will also, in conclusion, understand my hopes” (p. 143).

In De Profundis, Wilde announces a personal spiritual rebirth as an artist in Christ, whom he projects as a Greek tragic model for Wilde to cope with his suffering. In “The Soul of Man Under Socialism,” Wilde (2003d) even foreshadows this new mode of individuality as “the new Hellenism” (p. 1197). Both Nietzsche and Wilde turn to the Greeks, specifically classical Greek tragedy, to find a context for their refashionings of the self.

This deeper tragic connection between Nietzsche (2000a) and Wilde (1996) explains their more superficial thematic similarities. James Allen (2006) and Kate Hext (2011) have elaborated on many of these similarities, their comparisons remaining mostly within the theme of individualism. Individualism, however, is merely the appearance of the essence that draws Nietzsche and Wilde together as “rebels in the name of beauty” (Mann, 1959, p. 158).

In order to exist in authentic relationship to other individuals and to nature, one must become a whole person through the reconciliation of the Apollonian to the Dionysian, of the body to the soul. For both Nietzsche and Wilde, the individual must suffer—not only because suffering renders him or her beautiful, but also because he or she makes suffering beautiful. And suffering draws individuals together, as an audience seated before the tragic stage of life, thus remedying the most terrible kind of suffering that afflicted the lives of Nietzsche and Wilde: loneliness.

Allen, J. (2006). Nietzsche and Wilde: an of style. The Sewanee Review. 114(3), 386-402.

Auden, W.H. (1964). An improbable life. In H.D. Davis (Ed.), Oscar Wilde: De Profundis. (pp. 3-30) New York, NY: Avon Books.

Bloom, A. (1987). The closing of the American mind. New York, NY: Simon and Schuster.

Bloom, H. (1998). Shakespeare: the invention of the human. New York, NY: Penguin Books.

Danson, L. (1997). “Wilde as critic and theorist. In Peter R. (Ed.), The Cambridge companion to Oscar Wilde. (pp. 80-95). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Easterling, P.E. (1997). A show for Dionysus. In P.E. Easterling (Ed.), The Cambridge companion to Greek tragedy. (pp.1997). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. 36-53.

Foster, D. (2001). Oscar Wilde, De Profundis, and the rhetoric of agency. Papers on and Literature. 37(1), 85-111.

Gagnier, R. Wilde and the Victorians. (1997). In Peter R. (Ed.), The Cambridge companion to Oscar Wilde. (pp. 18-33). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Gilman, S. (2001). Two deaths in 1900. Narrative. 9(1), 40-54.

Grant, G. (1986). Nietzsche and the ancients: and scholarship. In G. Grant (Ed.), and justice. (79-95). Notre Dame: University of Notre Dame Press.

Guy, J. & Small, I. (2006). Reading De Profundis. in Transition 1880-1920. 49(2), 123-149.

Hext, K. (2011). Oscar Wilde and Friedrich Nietzsche: ‘Rebels in the name of beauty’. Victoriographies. 1(2), 202-220.

Mann, T. (1953). Doktor Faustus. (H.T. Lowe-Porter, Trans.). United States: Alfred A. Knopf.

---. (1959). Nietzsche’s philosophy in light of recent history. In J. Stern & T. Stern (Eds.), Thomas Mann: last essays. (J. Stern & T. Stern, Trans.). (pp. 141-177). New York, NY: Alfred A. Knopf.

Nietzsche, F. (1990). Twilight of the idols and the anti-Christ. (W. Kaufmann, Trans.) England: Penguin Books.

---. (2000a). The birth of tragedy. In W. Kaufmann (Ed.), Basic writings of Nietzsche. (W. Kaufmann, Trans.). (16-144). New York: The Modern Library.

---. (2000b). The case of Wagner. In W. Kaufmann (Ed.), Basic writings of Nietzsche. (W. Kaufmann, Trans.). (609-648). New York: The Modern Library.

Pearce, J. (2000). The unmasking of Oscar Wilde. London: Harper Collins.

Thatcher, D. (1970). Nietzsche in England: 1899-1914. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.

Quintus, J. A. (1991). Christ, , and Oscar Wilde. Texas Studies in Literature and Language. 33(4), 514-527.

Wilde, O. (1996). De Profundis. New York, NY: Dover Thrift.

---. (2003a). The decay of lying. In M. Holland (Ed.), Collins complete works of Oscar Wilde. (1174-1185). Glasgow: Collins.

---. (2003b). The Importance of being earnest. In M. Holland (Ed.), Collins complete works of Oscar Wilde. (357-419). Glasgow: Collins.

---. (2003c) The picture of Dorian Gray. In M. Holland (Ed.), Collins complete works of Oscar Wilde. (17-159). Glasgow: Collins.

---. (2003d). The soul of man under socialism. In M. Holland (Ed.), Collins complete works of Oscar Wilde. 1071-1092). Glasgow: Collins.

Since its emergence in the 19th century, fantasy fiction has proliferated throughout the world, from the global craze of Lord of the Rings (1954) to Harry Potter (1997). As a sub-genre of fantasy based on Chinese traditional mythology and martial... Read Article »
The arrival of Spanish conquistadors in the “New World” at the end of the fifteenth century triggered an age of violence, oppression, and colonization that lasted until the United States took the stage as a modern colonial power in 1898... Read Article »
Samuel Taylor Coleridge’s “The Rime of the Ancient Mariner” is about a man on a voyage by ship, who in one impulsive and heinous act, changes the course of his life – and death.  The Mariner faces an inner struggle over... Read Article »
Following the collapse of the Puritan Protectorate in 1660, the halls of court seemed to buzz with a festive attitude: “Out with the old and in with the… older.” Cavalier revelries under Charles II regained the notoriety of their... Read Article »
This essay explores the roles of women in Beowulf in a contextual assessment. It is often an incorrect assumption that women within Beowulf and Anglo-Saxon culture are subservient to a patriarchal culture that places little to no value on them.... Read Article »
In Shakespeare’s play Macbeth, he presents the conflicting character of Lady Macbeth. Upon receiving her husband’s letter about the witches’ prophesies, she attempts to be like a man in order to exude the strength needed to gain... Read Article »
The 18th century was one in which exaltation of wit and reason came to the forefront of literature in the form of both Horatian and Juvenalian satires, which, through keen observation and sharp nimbleness of thought, exposed the superficial follies... Read Article »