Tragedy in the Ideas of Friedrich Nietzsche and Oscar Wilde

By N L. N

Philosopher and classicist Allan Bloom (1987) notes that the study of ancient Greece and Rome has followed “the ebb and flow of philosophic innovation in the west. Moments of great transformation have started with refreshment at the Greek source, its inspiration slaking a burning thirst. . . . Greece provides assurance that there was something better than what is” (p. 304).

Suffering draws individuals together, as an audience seated before the tragic stage of life, thus remedying the most terrible kind of suffering that afflicted the lives of Nietzsche and Wilde: loneliness.

Nietzsche’s (2000a) The Birth of Tragedy and Wilde’s (1996) De Profundis are both the products of transformation. The Birth of Tragedy marks Nietzsche’s personal transformation from philologist to philosopher. At the conclusion of the work, he calls for a great Dionysian revival of German art achieved through the invention of German myth, as exemplified in the operas of Richard Wagner, to whom the book is dedicated. “My friends, you who believe in Dionysian music, you also know what tragedy means to us. . . . You understand my words—as you will also, in conclusion, understand my hopes” (p. 143).

In De Profundis, Wilde announces a personal spiritual rebirth as an artist in Christ, whom he projects as a Greek tragic model for Wilde to cope with his suffering. In “The Soul of Man Under Socialism,” Wilde (2003d) even foreshadows this new mode of individuality as “the new Hellenism” (p. 1197). Both Nietzsche and Wilde turn to the Greeks, specifically classical Greek tragedy, to find a context for their refashionings of the self.

This deeper tragic connection between Nietzsche (2000a) and Wilde (1996) explains their more superficial thematic similarities. James Allen (2006) and Kate Hext (2011) have elaborated on many of these similarities, their comparisons remaining mostly within the theme of individualism. Individualism, however, is merely the appearance of the essence that draws Nietzsche and Wilde together as “rebels in the name of beauty” (Mann, 1959, p. 158).

In order to exist in authentic relationship to other individuals and to nature, one must become a whole person through the reconciliation of the Apollonian to the Dionysian, of the body to the soul. For both Nietzsche and Wilde, the individual must suffer—not only because suffering renders him or her beautiful, but also because he or she makes suffering beautiful. And suffering draws individuals together, as an audience seated before the tragic stage of life, thus remedying the most terrible kind of suffering that afflicted the lives of Nietzsche and Wilde: loneliness.

Allen, J. (2006). Nietzsche and Wilde: an ethics of style. The Sewanee Review. 114(3), 386-402.

Auden, W.H. (1964). An improbable life. In H.D. Davis (Ed.), Oscar Wilde: De Profundis. (pp. 3-30) New York, NY: Avon Books.

Bloom, A. (1987). The closing of the American mind. New York, NY: Simon and Schuster.

Bloom, H. (1998). Shakespeare: the invention of the human. New York, NY: Penguin Books.

Danson, L. (1997). “Wilde as critic and theorist. In Peter R. (Ed.), The Cambridge companion to Oscar Wilde. (pp. 80-95). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Easterling, P.E. (1997). A show for Dionysus. In P.E. Easterling (Ed.), The Cambridge companion to Greek tragedy. (pp.1997). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. 36-53.

Foster, D. (2001). Oscar Wilde, De Profundis, and the rhetoric of agency. Papers on Language and Literature. 37(1), 85-111.

Gagnier, R. Wilde and the Victorians. (1997). In Peter R. (Ed.), The Cambridge companion to Oscar Wilde. (pp. 18-33). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Gilman, S. (2001). Two deaths in 1900. Narrative. 9(1), 40-54.

Grant, G. (1986). Nietzsche and the ancients: Philosophy and scholarship. In G. Grant (Ed.), Technology and justice. (79-95). Notre Dame: University of Notre Dame Press.

Guy, J. & Small, I. (2006). Reading De Profundis. English Literature in Transition 1880-1920. 49(2), 123-149.

Hext, K. (2011). Oscar Wilde and Friedrich Nietzsche: ‘Rebels in the name of beauty’. Victoriographies. 1(2), 202-220.

Mann, T. (1953). Doktor Faustus. (H.T. Lowe-Porter, Trans.). United States: Alfred A. Knopf.

---. (1959). Nietzsche’s philosophy in light of recent history. In J. Stern & T. Stern (Eds.), Thomas Mann: last essays. (J. Stern & T. Stern, Trans.). (pp. 141-177). New York, NY: Alfred A. Knopf.

Nietzsche, F. (1990). Twilight of the idols and the anti-Christ. (W. Kaufmann, Trans.) England: Penguin Books.

---. (2000a). The birth of tragedy. In W. Kaufmann (Ed.), Basic writings of Nietzsche. (W. Kaufmann, Trans.). (16-144). New York: The Modern Library.

---. (2000b). The case of Wagner. In W. Kaufmann (Ed.), Basic writings of Nietzsche. (W. Kaufmann, Trans.). (609-648). New York: The Modern Library.

Pearce, J. (2000). The unmasking of Oscar Wilde. London: Harper Collins.

Thatcher, D. (1970). Nietzsche in England: 1899-1914. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.

Quintus, J. A. (1991). Christ, Christianity, and Oscar Wilde. Texas Studies in Literature and Language. 33(4), 514-527.

Wilde, O. (1996). De Profundis. New York, NY: Dover Thrift.

---. (2003a). The decay of lying. In M. Holland (Ed.), Collins complete works of Oscar Wilde. (1174-1185). Glasgow: Collins.

---. (2003b). The Importance of being earnest. In M. Holland (Ed.), Collins complete works of Oscar Wilde. (357-419). Glasgow: Collins.

---. (2003c) The picture of Dorian Gray. In M. Holland (Ed.), Collins complete works of Oscar Wilde. (17-159). Glasgow: Collins.

---. (2003d). The soul of man under socialism. In M. Holland (Ed.), Collins complete works of Oscar Wilde. 1071-1092). Glasgow: Collins.

Edgar Allan Poe is known for writing about a wide variety of controversial topics, such as death, murder, and addiction. However, one topic that his work tends to avoid is race and/or racism. Instead, he often chooses to include marginalized groups... Read Article »
The inescapability and influence of the past becomes most discernable with homecoming. A particularly powerful sense of nostalgia concentrates in textiles, especially when these objects purposefully invoke the past. More often than not, theatre... Read Article »
Much contemporary literary criticism has been devoted to Horace Walpole’s novel, The Castle of Otranto; so, too, has much criticism been directed toward the author’s villa, Strawberry Hill. And yet the conversations surrounding... Read Article »
The postsecular turn of the late 1990’s refers to the emergence of a critical theory which challenges an important modern assumption: that secular ideologies are inherently more valid and truthful than religious ideologies. Other developments... Read Article »
Through major works including “The Franklin’s Tale,” Troilus and Criseyde, and “Parliament of Fowls,” Chaucer illuminates the complexity of the popular writing trope of courtly love. His accounts of courtly love border... Read Article »
This paper focuses on the manifestation of an unorthodox charisma in the devil figures of John Milton’s Paradise Lost and Johann Wolfgang von Goethe’s Faust: Part One. Using the respective connotations of ‘charisma’ with... Read Article »
Bogs are one of Ireland’s most notable and mysterious landscapes. As explored in the work of Seamus Heaney, the bog’s capacity to preserve memory across generations makes it a melancholic terrain that is uniquely suited to explorations... Read Article »