Anti-Semitism and Religious Intolerance in Aristocratic Age English Literature

By Hayley E. Tartell

In John Donne’s Holy Sonnet XI, an anti-Semitic theme prevails as well in order to defend Christian belief. The narrator, speaking through the lens of Jesus, emphatically cries, “Spit in my face you Jewes, and pierce my side…My sinnes, which passe the Jews' impiety:/ They kill'd once an inglorious man” (Donne 251; 1-7). In so doing, Donne suggests that the Jews are responsible for Jesus’ death and, accordingly, depraved. Portrayed as the scapegoats for his crucifixion, Jews are unquestionably discriminated against within the work itself. Such a blatant anti-Semitic theme was not uncommon throughout Europe during Donne’s lifetime, as Jews were similarly widely blamed for the crucifixion of Jesus.

In this poem, the narrator’s connoted anti-Semitic theme dramatically helps him illustrate and draw upon his impiety. By stating that his sins surpass even those of the Jews, he conjures a powerful anti-Semitic theme that unequivocally conveys the gravity of his own sin, as Jews were then perceived to be heretics and evil incarnate. Remarkably, in an unusually self-deprecating manner for those times, the narrator effectively supports his thesis by cogently debasing himself in tandem with pejorative references to Jews: “They kill'd once an inglorious man, but I/Crucify him daily” (Donne 251; 7-8). After self-flagellating himself with the aid of an anti-Semitic theme, the narrator then proceeds to further make his point by exalting God, in stark contrast, by juxtaposing the narrator’s impiety with the selflessness of God’s sacrifice for humanity. The narrator employs the crucifixion, described in the Christian Bible, to exalt God: “God clothed Himself in vile man's flesh, that so/He might be weak enough to suffer woe” (Donne 251; 13-14). By utilizing the Christian account from the New Testament to present God in an extremely favorable light, he glorifies and the attendant belief that God appeared in the form of Jesus to suffer for all of humanity. In essence, the aforementioned anti-Semitic theme ultimately helps validate Christian thought by helping to impart a Christian account in which God is exalted.

By the same token, in John Milton’s Book XII of Paradise Lost, an anti-Semitic theme is also denoted, ultimately for a means of justification. Milton describes Jesus as being “to death condemnd A shameful and accurst, naild to the cross by his own nation” (Milton 412-414). These lines connote an anti-Jewish affront, echoing the Church’s anti-Semitic sentiment and erroneous assertion that Jews (rather than the Romans) killed Jesus. This misguided notion persisted for centuries throughout Europe, thereby reflecting anti-Semitic attitudes held by the Church throughout Milton’s lifetime. The implied anti-Semitic theme in this epic poem ultimately helps “justify the ways of God to men” (Milton Book I), or His wicked behavior towards men, by showing that His decisions are merely reactions to those of man. For instance, the portrayal of Jews as murderers helps depict and justify the crucifixion of Jesus. The crucifixion is illustrated in order to explain how the Christian concept of redemption arose as a result of man’s actions – in this case, the alleged malevolent actions of Jewish men. Moreover, this anti-Semitic theme validates God’s actions towards man by supporting the notion that God simply acts in response to the way man exercises his free will.

Furthermore, in Geoffrey Chaucer’s The Canterbury Tales, an anti-Semitic theme is connoted as well, particularly in the Prioress’ Tale, so as to vilify the Roman Catholic Church. For instance, upon walking through the Jewish quarter of an unnamed Asian city singing a popular medieval hymn, a pious Christian boy is savagely murdered by a group of Jews influenced by Satan: “This cursed Jew seized and held him tight, and then cut his throat and cast him into a pit” (Chaucer 573). Chaucer’s tale vilifies Jews as being the attackers, causing them to appear as unworthy human beings lacking compassion or tolerance. Thus, this depiction of Jews as iniquitous murders implies a cultural prejudice against Jews. In this account, the Jews are blatantly illustrated as villainous and sinful: “He who deserves evil shall have evil” (Chaucer 634). This statement ascribes a wicked nature to Jews, thereby evincing an anti-Semitic theme. The narrator also fosters an anti-Semitic tone by repeatedly referring to the Jews as “cursed.” For instance, the boy’s mother is shown to be searching for her son “among the cursed Jews” (Chaucer 599), and another victim, Hugh of Lincoln, is described as being “slain also by cursed Jews” (Chaucer 690). Composed roughly a century after the Jews were expelled from England (1290), this work’s heavily anti-Semitic theme represents a similar contemporary Christian hatred towards Jews that perpetuated enforced edicts against Jewish learning and forced conversions of Jews.

The anti-Semitic theme expressed in Chaucer’s The Prioress’ Tale ultimately serves to indirectly attack the of Catholic Church officials and their practices. By being represented as attackers, the Jews are vilified, causing them to appear as unworthy human beings lacking compassion or tolerance. However, the Prioress’ negative depiction of Jews as depraved murderers, implying an anti-Semitic theme and reflecting the disparaging view of Jews at the time, actually serves to vilify the Prioress, portraying her as religiously intolerant and somewhat of a racist. Accordingly, this negative quality attributed to the Prioress can also be ascribed to Roman Catholic Church by virtue of the basic correlation between the two, considering her occupation as a nun. Therefore, the aforementioned, manifested anti-Semitic theme espouses a portrayal of the Roman Catholic Church as racist and, thus, corrupt. The use of Jews in the tale may or may not happen to be incidental.

Moreover, the works of , Marlowe, Donne, and Chaucer raise themes of anti-Semitism to reflect contemporary cultural prejudices towards Jews and also to support a social commentary on societal views at the time. Shakespeare’s Macbeth connotes an anti-Semitic theme in order to strengthen and validate common stereotypes of witches and Jews that existed during Shakespeare’s lifetime. Likewise, Marlowe’s anti-Semitic theme in The Jew of Malta serves to justify a contemporary anti-Semitic stereotype by emulating it through Barabas. In contrast, in The Merchant of Venice, Shakespeare shrewdly manages to challenge contemporary societal views towards Jews by evoking an anti-Semitic theme. Furthermore, Donne’s Holy Sonnet XI and Chaucer’s The Prioress’ Tale raise this theme in order to glorify Christianity and attack the Roman Catholic Church, respectively.

Chaucer, G. (1987). The Prioress's tale (Vol. 20). University of Oklahoma Press.

Cooper, J. R. (1970). Shylock's Humanity. Shakespeare Quarterly, 117-124.

Donne, J. (2000). The Complete and Selected Prose of John Donne:(A Modern Library E-Book). Modern library.

Herman, E. (2007). Blood to Ink, Bread to Dust: Transformative Jewish and Christian Legends of the Middle Ages. The Pluralist, 108-126.

Marcus, I. G. (2001). The Dynamics of Jewish Renaissance and Renewal in the Twelfth Century.

Marlowe, C. (1976). Complete Plays and Poems, ed. Pendry and JC Maxwell. JM Dent & Sons, London.

Milton, J. (2007). Paradise lost. Pearson .

Shakespeare, W. (2001). The Tragedy of Macbeth (Vol. 2). Classic Books Company.

Shakespeare, W. (2003). The Merchant of Venice. Cambridge University Press.

Teall, J. L. (1962). Witchcraft and Calvinism in Elizabethan England: Divine and Human Agency. Journal of the History of Ideas, 21-36.

Holocaust.(2015). In Encyclopædia Britannica. 15th Ed. Vol. 3. 592. Print.

“Anti-Semitism: Marrano.” (2007) In Encyclopaedia Britannica. 15th Ed. Vol. 7. 871. Print.

“Anti-Semitism: Roman Catholic History.” (2006) The New Encyclopaedia Britannica. 15th Ed. Vol. 26. 884. Print.

“Anti-Semitism: Spain.” (2007) The New Encyclopaedia Britannica. 15th Ed. Vol. 28. 38. Print.

The position of Jewish and Christian peoples under the Ottoman Empire is an issue that continues to be disputed today, almost a century after the official end of the Empire itself. Religious association typically determined status in the predominantly Muslim Ottoman Empire. According to Moshe Ma’oz, Christians and Jews were seen as “inferior subjects or as illegitimate denominations.”[1] As a result, they were often discriminated... MORE»

This paper explores the conflict between hegemonic and new masculinity in Phil Klay’s Redeployment, illustrating the changing conception of gender roles and masculinity in storytelling about war. This paper juxtaposes traditional conceptions... Read Article »
The corpus of Older Scots literature is hyper-attentive to the themes and issues surrounding nationhood and sovereignty. Authors of the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries often espoused and exploited the national pride of the Scottish people, producing... Read Article »
Until the outbreak of civil war, the United States would continually try and fail to subdue the existential threat of slavery, with each attempt exacerbating the sectional tensions between slave and free states. In 1830, Massachusetts Senator Daniel... Read Article »
Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov is a masterpiece of literature that seems to transform into a remarkably personal experience for anyone who approaches the text. The book reads in many ways like a game full of mysteries and innuendos and has in its... Read Article »
The staged plays of the early Jacobean period are valuable textual products for the literary critic, the cultural researcher and the historian alike. These plays are significant containers of knowledge about the mutually reinforcing social and political... Read Article »
Innocent lamb, savage tiger, free-flying eagle – time after time animals interrupt poetry as the ideal, the muse, the hero, or the grotesque operating alongside humanity. In tracking animal imagery throughout contemporary Irish poetry, we... Read Article »
In his poem ‘Punishment’ from the poetry collection North (1975), Seamus Heaney picks up the voice of a witness who is suspended between the possibilities of love, silence, voyeurism, outrage and above all, the understanding of the process... Read Article »