Minorities and Homelessness in the United States and Europe: A Comparative Analysis

By Carmen Radu

IV. Conclusions

Results from the field research part of this study reflected many of the factors discussed in the literature review as to the causes of homelessness and minority homelessness in particular. In the beginning, I argued that minorities are overrepresented among the homeless because of durable inequality; the exploitative relationship established during and depended on the construction of categorical boundaries. These boundaries have become durable and continue to limit or deny certain groups access to resources such as equal jobs, wages, and housing. This was found to be the case in all countries under study. The hypothesis that undocumented immigrants are ineligible for homelessness and welfare assistance is supported in all cases. As opposed to Europe, I did not find instances of direct discrimination in the housing market in the U.S. In general, direct discrimination seems to play a bigger role in Europe than in the United States. On both continents, the structures of durable inequality influence minority homelessness trends despite progress in laws ensuring equal treatment and barring discrimination.

In terms of other comparisons between Europe and the United States, I found that homeless persons are more likely to be employed while homeless in the United States. Perhaps this is because the employment markets are more open than in Europe. Direct discrimination in the United States was most evident among African Americans once the person was already employed. Furthermore, there is a link between minority overrepresentations in the criminal justice systems and homelessness in both the US and UK, while this does not seem to be an issue in the other European countries. On both continents, immigrants were significantly less likely to display individual level vulnerabilities.

The results of the U.S. field research indicate that a major cause of minority homelessness is durable inequality, whereby African Americans are more likely to be affected by structural factors that lead to homelessness such as lack of family support, low and skill levels, and the life course phenomenon. African American males are more likely to be imprisoned. Individual level factors such as drug abuse, mental health, and addictions were not as crucial, though African American males were more likely to experience the drugs-criminal justice link. Social workers in the United States supported the durable inequality hypothesis. Minority homelessness must be viewed within the prism of human dignity and respect for the full spectrum of rights. Governments must first recognize that an overrepresentation of minorities among the homeless is a problem, and then must address overall wellbeing and life courses of minorities, through particular attention to the link between civil, political, economic, social, and cultural rights. The approach can challenge durable inequality by challenging exploitative relationships, improving overall quality of life for disadvantaged groups.

In addition to these lessons, as I was conducting the study new questions were raised and topics for further research became evident. Within the context of understanding why minorities are overrepresented, a comparison of the length of time it takes different racial/ethnic groups to get out of homelessness could be a clear indicator of discrimination: in the United States, do Caucasians have more access to resources or upward mobility to get out of homelessness faster (interview with Altaf Husain, June 21, 2012)? Family homelessness is another topic of further research and has been recognized as an emerging crisis. There aren’t enough family shelters in DC to meet this rising need. There has not yet been a study conducted to show a correlation between the economic crisis and rise of family homelessness in the United States (interview with Altaf Husain, June 21, 2012). Comparative studies can also be conducted to determine whether this phenomenon is encountered in Europe as well.

Finally, another topic of further research would be discrimination against people that are homeless once they become homeless, simply because of their status as homeless. All of the people who were interviewed expressed a tendency to hide the fact they are homeless from employers and others for fear of discriminatory treatment. It would be worthwhile to conduct a study determining how these dynamics hold people back from getting out of homelessness. In particular, discriminatory treatment against people who are homeless and have a sex offense in their background should also be studied.

Axelson, Leland J., and Paula W. Dail. 1988. “The Changing Character of Homelessness in the United States.” Family Relations 37: 463-469.

Bessant, Judith, Richard Hil and Rob Watts. 2003. “Discovering” Risk: Social Research and Policy Making. New York: Peter Lang.

Brent, Benda B., and Elizabeth D. Hutchinson. 1990. Homelessness and Alcohol. In Helping the Homeless: Where Do We Go from Here? ed. John R. Belcher and Frederick A. DiBlasio, 123-149. Lexington, Massachusetts/Toronto: Lexington Books.

Broin, Eoin O. 2008. “Can We End Long Term Homelessness By 2010?” Homeless in Europe Winter: 10-12.

Calavita, Kitty. 2005. Immigrants at the Margins: Law, Race, and Exclusion in Southern Europe. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Council of Europe. European Committee of Social Rights. 2012. “Conclusions XIX-4, United Kingdom.”

Council of Europe. European Committee of Social Rights. 2012. “ Conclusions 2011-.”

Council of Europe. European Committee of Social Rights. 2011. “Conclusions 2011-Italy”  

Donnelly, Jack. 2003. Universal Human Rights in Theory and Practice. Ithaca and London: Cornell University Press

Duffield, Barbara. 2001. Amidst Plenty: Homelessness in the United States. In International Perspectives on Homelessness, ed. Valerie Polakow and Cindy Guillean, 195-215. Westport: Greenwood Press.

Edgar, Bill, et al. 2004. and Homelessness in Europe. Bristol: The Policy Press.

Edgar, Bill. 2009. “European Review of Statistics on Homelessness.” European Observatory on Homelessness.

European Commission Against Racism and Intolerance. 2010. “ECRI Report on the United Kingdom” < http://www.coe.int/t/dghl/monitoring/ecri/Country-by- country/United_Kingdom/GBR-CbC-IV-2010-004-ENG.pdf>

European Commission Against Racism and Intolerance. 2010. “ECRI Report on France” .

Feantsa.org. 2007. “France Adopts Justiciable Right to Housing.”

Fernandez, Manny. 2007. “Study Finds Disparities in Mortgages by Race.” New York Times <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/15/nyregion/15subprime.html?ex=1350187200&en=a9978e04a9864642&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>

Fernandez, Guillem, and Marc Uhry. 2008. “The Housing Crisis and Homelessness.” Homeless in Europe Winter: 1-5.

Fitzpatrick, Suzanne, and Beth Wattz. 2010. “’The Right to Housing’ for Homeless People.” Homelessness Research in Europe.

Gauci, Jean-Pierre. 2011. Racism in Europe: ENAR Shadow Report 2010-2011. Brussels: European Network Against Racism.

Genzuk, Michael. 2003 “A Synthesis of Ethnographic Research.” Center for Multilingual, Multicultural Research. University of Southern California < http://www- bcf.usc.edu/~genzuk/Ethnographic_Research.html>.

Glasser, Irene. 1994. Homelessness in Global Perspective. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company.

Hope, Marjorie, and James Young. 1986. The Faces of Homelessness. Lexington: Lexington Books.

Hopper, Kim. 1991. “Research for What? Lessons From the Study of Homelessness.” Bulletin of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences 44:13-31.

Husain, Altaf. 2012. Interview by author. Washington, DC. June 21.

Marcuse, Peter. 1996. Space and Race in the Post-Fordist City: the Outcast Ghetto and Advanced Homelessness in the Advanced World Today. In Urban Poverty and the Underclass, ed. Enzo Mingione, 3-41. Oxford: Blackwell Publishers.

Migration Policy Institute. 2009. “United Kingdom: A Reluctant Country of Immigration.” Migration Information Source.

Mingione, Enzo. 1996. Urban Poverty in the Advanced Industrial World: Concepts, Analysis, and Debates. In Urban Poverty and the Underclass, ed. Enzo Mingione, 3-41. Oxford: Blackwell Publishers.

Mondloch, Kevin. 2012. Interview by author. Arlington, VA. July 9

National Alliance to End Homelessness. 2012. “The State of Homelessness in America: 2012.” Homelessness Research Institute.

National Coalition for the Homeless. 2009. “Foreclosure to Homelessness 2009.” www.nationalhomeless.org

National Coalition for the Homeless. 2009. How Many People Experience Homelessness?” http://www.nationalhomeless.org/factsheets/How_Many.html

Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights. 2012. The International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights < http://www2.ohchr.org/english/law/ccpr.htm>.

Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights. 2012. The International Covenant on Economic, Social, and Cultural Rights < http://www2.ohchr.org/english/law/cescr.htm>.

Pager, Devah. 2003. “The Mark of a Criminal Record.” The American Journal of Sociology 108 No.5: 937-975.

Pettit, Becky, and Bruce Western. 2004. “Mass Imprisonment and the Life Course: Race and Class Inequality in U.S. Incarceration.” American Sociological Review 69 No.2: 151-169.

Pleace, Nicholas. 2010. “Immigration and Homelessness.” Homelessness Research in Europe. Centre for Housing Policy, University of York.

Rosenheck, Robert, Ellen Bassuk and Amy Salomon. 1998. “Special Populations of Homeless Americans.” U.S. Department of Health and Human Services < http://aspe.hhs.gov/progsys/homeless/symposium/2-Spclpop.htm>

Shelter.org. 2012. Temporary Accommodation from the Council.

Shelter.org. 2011. “Am I Eligible for Assistance?”

Shinn, Marybeth. 2010. “Homelessness, Poverty, and Social Exclusion in the United States and Europe.” European Journal of Homelessness 4: 19-44.

Simon, Rita, and James Lynch. 1999. “A Comparative Assessment of Public Opinion toward Immigrants and Immigration Policies.” International Migration Review 33 no.2.

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. 2012. Homelessness Resource Center. Homeless Populations

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. 2011. “Current Statistics on the Prevalence and Characteristics of People Experiencing Homelessness in the United States.”

Susser, I. 1996. “The Construction of Poverty and Homelessness in U.S. Cities.” Annual Review of Anthropology 25: 411-435.

Tilly, Charles. 1999. Durable Inequality. Berkley; Los Angeles; London: University of California Press.

Toro, Paul A., et al. 2007. “Homelessness in Europe and the United States: A Comparison of Prevalence and Public Opinion.” Journal of Social Issues 63: 505-524.

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. “The 2010 Annual Homeless Assessment Report to Congress.” June 2011.

U.S. Department of State. 2011. Bureau of , Human Rights, and Labor. Country Reports on Human Rights Practices for 2011. Italy

Wacquant, Loic J.D, and William Julius Wilson. 1989. “The Cost of Racial and Class Exclusion in the Inner-City.” The Ghetto Underclass: Social Science Perspectives 501, 8-25.

Wacquant, Loic J.D. 1996. “The Rise of Advanced Marginality: Notes on its Nature and Implications.” Acta Sociologica 39 no.2, 121-139.

Washington.org. 2012. “DC History.” Accessed July 13. http://www.washington.org/visiting/experience-dc/knowledge-seeker/dc-history-african- american

Wright, Talmadge. 2000. “Resisting Homelessness: Global, National, and Local Solutions.” Contemporary Sociology 29: 27-43.

1.) In the , statutory homeless are people that have a legal claim to housing as considered by the legal authorities. In order to be eligible, one must lack a secure place to live, must have dependent children, apply for homelessness assistance, prove unintentional homelessness, and must pass a series of tests (CRISIS, Statutory Homelessness, 2012. http://www.crisis.org.uk/pages/homeless-def-numbers.html#_ftn).

2.) This research was approved by the Institutional Research Board in the spring semester of 2012.

3.) Names of some participants are being kept confidential.

Latest in Sociology

The Conceptual Access-Network Thesis proposed suggests that the development or success of any new internet-based product, service, or technology will ultimately be contingent upon how well it satisfies the criterion of providing access to or creating... Read Article »
Not long after J.K. Rowling published the first Harry Potter book on June 26, 1997, The Boy Who Lived exploded into an international phenomenon. Teachers read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone to wide-eyed students and parents read it... Read Article »
The so-called Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) – also known as ISIL, IS and Daesh – has during the last years disseminated videos throughout the Internet in a new recruitment and media strategy focusing on the destruction of cultural... Read Article »
This quote by the early 20th century Lebanese poet Kahlil Gibran captures both the core idea and some of the implicit issues posed by what was later to be called the “risk society thesis” and was to have a massive impact on contemporary... Read Article »
The modern world has made incredible bounds towards generating social movements to support disenfranchised groups. When thinking of social movements, people tend to conjure the image of visibly alienated groups that have become vocal in order to... Read Article »
One of the most well established assertions in criminology is that of the relationship between crime and age (e.g. Sampson & Laub, 1992, 1998; McAra & McVie, 2012), in which developmentally orientated researchers attempt to explain how crime... Read Article »
As a founder of sociology, Max Weber influenced the social sciences immensely. In his “Politics as a Vocation,” Weber claims that one of the definitions of the state is its ability to employ legitimate violence as a means of control... Read Article »