The American Immigrant: A Roach In The Glue - Examining the work of Hemon and Kambanda

By Brian Richards

At the conclusion of her essay, “My New World Journey,” Nola Kambanda writes that “Sometimes I am not sure whether home is behind me or in front of me…I might just be attaching [this longing] to those things that are familiar to me…it might not be a place at all…home might be family…It might be the people who make me feel” (155). However, at the conclusion of his short story, “Blind Jozef Pronek,” Aleksandar Hemon writes of his protagonist’s perception of home, and hardly any of his description fits finely into Kambanda’s, albeit rather vague, definition. To accept Kambanda’s conclusion is to ignore the nuanced but powerful indictment of America as a home that appears in both her piece and Hemon’s. Hemon paints an America that often seems to be lacking in love, family, and feelings as a whole—just simply a plethora of substances abused by ungrateful natives and guilt-ridden arrivals.

When we first meet Jozef Pronek, the Sarajevo blues brother and “freedom-loving writer” who receives­ an official invite from the U.S., there are news reports of war and tension in Bosnia (167). Sarajevo is his “home,” his place of origin, where he is part of a family and social unit, and where he resides in his commercial property. His new place of residence and work becomes Chicago, to which he settles specifically for the same reason men of all ethnic backgrounds travel across the globe: a woman. He stays with her and her boyfriend and tries to live the American dream—or really, simply live.

The toll of Pronek’s immigrant experience seems to be a great deal of guilt, dissatisfaction, and anxiety. The excesses of America become more of a curse than a blessing: Pronek gains weight from all the junk food, feels panicked for not knowing the names of the surrounding plants, masturbates in a detached manner, and tries to wash off his sins in showers only to feel guilty when he recalls the water shortages in the old country. If home is the location of our family or those who make us feel, America is no home to an immigrant like Jozef Pronek.

Hemon’s most illuminating discussion of home comes at the end of the story, in Pronek’s cheerless vision of home in America. In his envisioned routine, Pronek would get a rather loveless telephone message from a woman, watch a sports game before he would visit his parents in Michigan (“who he knew would just annoy the hell out of him”) and “slowly drink until he passed out” (181). Hemon’s American home is a beacon of substances and opportunity (a telephone, entertainment, family, food, and drink) only to be wasted. Instead of celebrating his parents’s mere being alive, he thinks about how they annoy him. Instead of finding true love, the woman who calls already has a boyfriend and might be using Pronek for sex. Instead of feeling grateful for his new home, he numbs the experience with a liquid depressant.

In fact, Hemon’s America hardly seems like home for its natural-born inhabitants. The people Pronek stays with for his adventure are Andrea and Carwin, two lovers who appear neither to be in love nor make love. Hemon’s Andrea is a mildly depressed artist (her painting entitled “Home” is simply a portrait of her with her arms around two pigs) and portrays her boyfriend as a beer-drinking, sports-watching, foul-mouthed, porn-viewing, well, pig. The two do not share a bedroom, and they are constantly fighting and swearing, even though their home has the benefits any Sarajevo citizen on CNN would have died for. Their apartment consists of McDonalds, beer, and cigarette paraphernalia—a messy waste of products and goods.

Another commodity taken for granted in Hemon’s America is family, one of Kambanda’s key words in her definition of home. While families come to their bloody ends overseas, Carwin says, “Man, I hope I never see my fuckin’ parents again” (172). Pronek, meanwhile, fears greatly for his parents’s lives, as he watches the bloody scenes of war on the cable news—where any severed body part could belong to a friend or relative—experiencing the unsettling epiphany that “death was the cessation of life” and that whatever those familiar faces from his old home were doing “would never continue. Even their suffering would end” (179). At least in America, as weak as the life there may be, there was at least the offer of life at all.

Still, Hemon challenges this by utilizing death throughout the narrative in describing the working immigrant’s experience. Pronek begins his business journey with kitchen work for five dollars an hour before receiving the high honor of heading garbage disposal, for which Pronek drags loaded garbage cans “like corpses” to the kitchen (177). He eventually gets laid off in an “absurd” incident involving Pronek not knowing the difference between iceberg and romaine lettuce (179). Thankfully, he ends up getting a six dollar-an-hour job as a bathroom cleaner (or “shit boy”) for which he “mercilessly effac[es] all trace of human life” (180). These death-related phrases (corpses, effacing human life) reveal the author’s tone and attitude towards working towards the American dream: it sounds rather nightmarish.

The idea of death finally brings us back to the end of Hemon’s story and Pronek’s American daydream (which can be interpreted as Pronek’s companion piece to Andrea’s sad self-portrait). The routine of home for Pronek simply meant a continuation and sustaining of life. He would enter his apartment and see “where yesterday’s dried-up roach hung from the ceiling and today’s was still alive, stuck in the sweet glue” (181). This is the most apt metaphor for Hemon’s take on the American experience: a dog-eat-dog business world of capitalist competition (where one roach is left up to dry) while an immigrant like Hemon is stuck (he remains in America because home would simply mean death) in the sweet glue of the states. Pronek would say “Honey, I’m home,” a throwback to the American sitcom, perhaps specifically a reference to Fred Flintstone’s nightly greeting to Wilma after a long day’s blue-collar work. Of course the sad irony in Hemon’s writing is that Pronek is not really saying it to anyone; he is technically at “home” in America, but undoubtedly alone.                                                                       

Hemon, Aleksandar. "Blind Jozef Pronek". The New Yorker April 19, 1999: 86. (Print.)

Kambanda, Nola. “My New World Journey.” Crossing Into America. (2003): 147-155. (Print.)

On the eve of the 19th century, in 1781, French-American immigrant Hector St. Jean de Crevecoeur wrote a letter, the third in his famed Letters from an American Farmer, entitled “What Is An American?” His answer, as open for interpretation as it might be, was best been articulated in his fourth paragraph: “The American,” he writes, “is a new man, who acts upon new principles; he must therefore entertain... MORE»
In “Amor de lejos: Latino (Im)migration Literatures,” B.V. Olguin writes, “Latino/a (im)migration narratives…often illustrate the traumatic aspects of displacement by focusing in part on how immigration, migration, exile, and colonization place people in a state of national limbo” (333). Similarly, in “The New Immigration and the Literature of Asian America,” Hye Suh and Robert Ji-Song Ku write, “Asian... MORE»

Bogs are one of Ireland’s most notable and mysterious landscapes. As explored in the work of Seamus Heaney, the bog’s capacity to preserve memory across generations makes it a melancholic terrain that is uniquely suited to explorations... Read Article »
Time has always been an abstract concept in human languages. To better understand how this temporal concept is addressed in different languages, it can be explored in the context of classical times through Latin texts. In the well-known piece The... Read Article »
The fifteenth-century Middle English romance "The Sultan of Babylon" partakes in the Orientalist literary tradition through the poet's linguistic economy of the Other. The paradoxical shortages and surpluses of ethnic descriptors of East female... Read Article »
This paper presents a comparative analysis of Oedipus at Colonus, a play written by the ancient Greek tragedian Sophocles, and Gran Torino, an American film directed by Clint Eastwood. The two literary productions, although remote as they seem,... Read Article »
Sylvia Plath’s posthumously published collection of poetry, Ariel, is perhaps best defined by the vivid imagery that delves deep into Plath’s psyche. Throughout the collection, Plath explores dimensions of herself: her past, present,... Read Article »
When finally, … Richard dashes the mirror to the ground, there shatters not only Richard’s past and present, but every aspect of a super-world … The features as reflected by the looking glass betray that he is stripped of &hellip... Read Article »
This paper analyses Ian McEwan’s reuse of Shakespeare’s material in his retelling of Hamlet from the unusual point of view of an unborn child. By considering its plot, characters, setting and main issues, McEwan’s novel Nutshell... Read Article »