A Contrast of Issei and Nisei as Illustrated by King-Kok Cheung, Hisaye Yamamoto, and Emiko Okori

By Scott Berghegger

Hisaye Yamamoto’s double-telling stories, according to King-kok Cheung, convey “two tales in the guise of one,” one woven from the explicit words of the narrator, the other from the softened and sometimes pointedly silent characters that surround the narrator (Cheung, 29). However, Yamamoto’s double-tailed method not only exhibits the muted voices of the Issei, but the dichotomies of these immigrant-internees’ lives in America, sharply divided across lines of gender, race, generation, and citizenship. The Issei had to raise their children in a “free prison,” where women are still bound by centuries-old rituals of submission, men are emasculated and completely stripped of the they once possessed, and the Nisei grew farther and farther apart from their parents, stray children who did not have the capability to deal with the aftershocks of being driven into internment camps.

The women in Yamamoto’s stories practice enryo, a mode of deference and reserve valued in Japanese etiquette. As women in , they are taught to submit to the word of their husbands or any other man so that the concepts and roles of man and woman remain constant. Despite the translocation from Japan to the United States, and from their homes into concentration camps, Issei women did not break this rule of their homeland’s – as good rice and green tea were imbedded in the palates of the Nisei, silence and deference were in the very nature of female Issei. Emiko Omori says of her mother, “I always remember her walking three paces behind my father” (Rabbit in the Moon). In Yamamoto’s stories, women only break this crippling silence through grave warnings, directed at their children, of horrible events that these dual cultures of extreme suppression have forced upon them. Still, so muted are they that these events are never overtly explained to the children – the reality of their lives is never candidly expressed to the Nisei, a factor that may have driven many Japanese-American children away from a close maternal bond.

As the women practiced enryo, Japanese men interned in the United States were bound by the culturally-displacing tradition of gaman. As stoic as women were forced to be, the men in Yamamoto’s tales “seem inordinately reinforced by the politics of race as well as by cultural rules… that socialize them to practice ‘silent protest’” (Cheung, 49). The fathers in all of Yamamoto’s stories are voiceless throughout most of the narratives. Mr. Hayashi explodes in a fit of bottled rage; Mr. Hosoume remains silent, dejected and trapped in his own home; and Rev. Sasagawara is barely present. Mr. Hosoume’s impotence, in particular, is a stark and obvious symbol for the male Issei’s loss of agency, in the new world of prison camp America. A man’s capacity to act upon his environment and better it for himself and his family is a mark of strength and masculinity in both Japanese and American cultures. With the government stripping away his home and property, and the chance of a male heir gone, Mr. Hosoume has lost that masculinity, and submits to American tyranny. The young, handsome editor who shows interest in Mrs. Hayashi’s “Seventeen Syllables” threatens Mr. Hayashi’s place at the head of his family. Mrs. Hayashi “shifts easily into his style” (50), which may mean something important to her husband, who knows of her “immoral” past. His violent response is one-dimensional – he destroys because he, through the practice of gaman, is incapable of conveying emotion.

The Nisei, children of the Issei whose cultural thought processes are more American than Japanese, are the ones left behind in the aftermath of the internment camps. Without mothers who can speak, without fathers who can express themselves, they are left stranded and contradicted by a culture that outwardly values individuality and protest, but at the same time imprisoned them for the way their faces looked. Yamamoto has commented on the warring dual nature of the Nisei: “For a writer proceeds from a compulsion to communicate a vision and he cannot afford to bother with what people in general think of him. We Nisei… care very much what others think of us” (30). I believe this stands for men as well as women – each Nisei has two versions of one story, one Japanese and one American, one masculine and one feminine, one overt and one covert. As muted as they sometimes feel, their stories, critical to the American perspective on history, culture, and , ought to be told – they can be great storytellers.

Cheung, King-kok. Articulate Silences. Ithaca; Cornell University Press, 1993.

Rabbit in the Moon. Dir. Emiko Omori. Videocassette. New Day Films, 1999.

Yamamoto, Hisaye. “Legend of Miss Sasagawara” and “Wilshire Bus,” from Seventeen Syllables. New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press, 1998.

This study examined the scope of influence that Japanese anime had on American people born in the '80s and '90s. Relying on secondary research and a survey using a convenience sample of 107 students and young adults, this study found that anime conveys a negative image associated with violence and fringe culture, but people see anime as more of an art form than tasteless violent film. The study also found that piracy, though not overly common, was... MORE»

Time has always been an abstract concept in human languages. To better understand how this temporal concept is addressed in different languages, it can be explored in the context of classical times through Latin texts. In the well-known piece The... Read Article »
The fifteenth-century Middle English romance "The Sultan of Babylon" partakes in the Orientalist literary tradition through the poet's linguistic economy of the Other. The paradoxical shortages and surpluses of ethnic descriptors of East female... Read Article »
This paper presents a comparative analysis of Oedipus at Colonus, a play written by the ancient Greek tragedian Sophocles, and Gran Torino, an American film directed by Clint Eastwood. The two literary productions, although remote as they seem,... Read Article »
Sylvia Plath’s posthumously published collection of poetry, Ariel, is perhaps best defined by the vivid imagery that delves deep into Plath’s psyche. Throughout the collection, Plath explores dimensions of herself: her past, present,... Read Article »
When finally, … Richard dashes the mirror to the ground, there shatters not only Richard’s past and present, but every aspect of a super-world … The features as reflected by the looking glass betray that he is stripped of &hellip... Read Article »
This paper analyses Ian McEwan’s reuse of Shakespeare’s material in his retelling of Hamlet from the unusual point of view of an unborn child. By considering its plot, characters, setting and main issues, McEwan’s novel Nutshell... Read Article »
Human beings decided that time is linear. We continually assert that is made up of the past, present, and future, proceeding infinitely and mercilessly in an exclusively forward motion. Thus, our lives and our relationships are experienced linearly... Read Article »