The Source and Nature of Power: Comparing "Noumenal" and "Structural" Power According to Forst and Strange

By Shaun Docherty

All these sources of were craved by a weakened western world who believed in the U.S and its ability to re-build a free global . In this traumatized and vulnerable state we can see how noumenal power—the belief, the justification, the recognition of U.S superiority—was just as important as its physical prowess.

Forst shows how noumenal power can cement itself over time, sealing the subject’s space of reasons and institutionalizing the justification of certain orders,

“in a sequence of events or in a general social situation or structure, where certain social relations are seen as justified, so that social order comes to be accepted as an order of justification. Relations and orders of power are relations and orders of justification; and power arises and persists where justifications arise and persist, where they are integrated into certain narratives of justification.”24

From the destruction and chaos of the Second World War grew not only a new global political economy but a belief and recognition in a new system. This noumenal belief has created a historical narrative of justification, which has deeply entrenched itself in the psyche of the western world and stopped people questioning the status quo.

During the 1980’s through this established noumenal belief in the global political economy the U.S embarked on a campaign to expand and prioritize the role of the market. This deregulation created a form of casino where markets are so strong it is debatable who in present day is really in possession of structural power. Strange writing in 1994 offers her opinion,

“it is power that determines the relationship between authority and market. Markets cannot play a dominant role in the way in which a political economy functions unless allowed to do so by whoever wields power.”25

Whether it is the U.S or the financial markets who now exercise structural power is no concern for us here. Forst concludes by stating how “unjustifiable asymmetrical social relations” are supported by “hegemonic justifications” making situations “appear as natural.”26 This “superior structural power” enjoyed by the U.S, founded upon the desire of its subjects to be resurrected from the ashes of the Second World War has now developed into an order of justifications, a noumenal narrative legitimizing free-market and the massive global inequalities it produces; justifying a dysfunctional, decadent and decaying system.

It is a noumenal belief in the system, which over time has transfigured into an incarcerating narrative of justification, creating a generation of reactionaries who refuse to question the voodoo economics and unequal social order of the global political economy. Instead of a social contract we accept a suicide pact.

Noumenal power is fundamental to the successful administration of structural power. The latter cannot exist without the former. The contemporary global political crisis is our new paradigm: the system is failing, yet it cannot collapse as long as people give it legitimacy, we are the empowering agents. People still believe in the system, they do not want to change it; instead they want to go back to happier days where everything was fine.

To quote the late Gill-Scott Heron, “people want nostalgia.”27 It is now only belief, noumenal power which is holding up this dysfunctional system. It will therefore take something far simpler than a catastrophic financial meltdown to end it, although it appears we are prisoners of this neoliberal ideology, just like the Irish hunger strikers, all we have to do is stop recognizing power to be free of it.

Allen, Robert ed, “The Penguin English Dictionary,” (London: Penguin Books, 2001)

Forst, Rainer “Noumenal Power” (Goethe University, Frankfurt/Main, 2012),

Issacs, Jeremy and Downing, Taylor “,” (London: Bantam Press, 1998)

Strange, Susan “States and Markets” (London: Pinter, 1994)

1.) Rainer Forst, “Noumenal Power” (Goethe University, Frankfurt/Main, 2012), p. 2.

2.) Rainer Forst, “Noumenal Power” (Goethe University, Frankfurt/Main, 2012), p.4.

3.) Ibid.

4.) Susan Strange, “States and Markets” (London: Pinter, 1994), pp.24-25.

5.) Ibid. p.25.

6.) Ibid. p.32.

7.) Ibid. p.25

8.) Ibid. p.26.

9.) Ibid. pp. 26-31.

10.) Ibid. p.23.

11.) Robert Allen ed, “The Penguin English Dictionary,” (London: Penguin Books, 2001), p.602.

12.) Rainer Forst, “Noumenal Power,” (Goethe University, Frankfurt/Main, 2012), p.1.

13.) Ibid. p.2.

14.) Ibid. p.5.

15.) Jeremy Issacs and Taylor Downing, “Cold War,” (London: Bantam Press, 1998), pp.218-223.

16.) Ibid. p.3.

17.) Ibid.

18.) Susan Strange, “States and Markets” (London: Pinter, 1994), p. 22.

19.) Ibid. p.26.

20.) Ibid. p.29.

21.) Ibid. p.29.

22.) Ibid. p.30.

23.) Ibid. p.30.

24.) Rainer Forst, “Noumenal Power” (Goethe University, Frankfurt/Main, 2012), p.5.

25.) Susan Strange, “States and Markets” (London: Pinter, 1994), p. 23.

26.) Rainer Forst, “Noumenal Power” (Goethe University, Frankfurt/Main, 2012), p.10.

27.) Gill Scott-Heron, “ “B”movie,” (U.S, 1981)

Latest in Philosophy

It is not often that one questions the nature of space, in fact, most people understand extension as independent of their mind as well as the objects that appear in their surrounding world. However, in a radical twist, fitting for the revolutionary... Read Article »
For centuries philosophers have struggled to define personal identity. In his 1690 work An Essay Concering Human Understanding, John Locke proposes that one's personal identity extends only so far as their own consciousness. The connection between... Read Article »
As a topic of philosophical interest the Socratic dialogues play a pivotal role in many of Plato’s works of more than thirty authentic dialogues. This paper discusses pederasty and power through myth and story-telling to teach Ancient Greek... Read Article »
Albert Camus lived during a tumultuous time that included his experience of World War II and the Algerian War. Camus is most prominently known as an author of fine French literature but he was also a philosopher. While it is debatable whether Camus... Read Article »
Published by Discussions
Consciousness is a thought-provoking phenomenon. In recent decades, though, the philosophy of mind has revealed consciousness to be, in the words of Thomas Nagel, "what makes the mindbody problem intractable" (Nagel, 1979). Though consciousness... Read Article »
Man in his search for meaning—everyman— is Albert Camus’ rebel. In The Rebel man must accept and seek to encounter the universe as it presents itself in absurdity. He encounters the universe out of a strange love and a need for... Read Article »
Is there a goal or purpose to history? And if so, how is one to determine its starting point, the ways in which it develops, and how it achieves its aim? Luckily, one philosopher, Hegel, analyzed history philosophically and tried to answer these... Read Article »