Implementation of Multi Input Power Converter for Grid Connected Hybrid Renewable Energy Generation System

By Yuvaraj V

The objective of this paper is to propose a novel multi-input converter for the grid-connected hybrid renewable energy system in order to simplify the power system and reduce the cost. The proposed multi-input power converter consists of a Cuk fused multi-input dc–dc converter and a fullbridge dc–ac inverter. The incremental conductance (IncCond) method is mainly used to accomplish the maximum power point tracking (MPPT) algorithm for input sources. The operational principle of the proposed multi-input power converter is explained. A multi-input power converter (MIPC) which operates in four modes: first an operation type wherein power is delivered to dc Bus from hybrid renewable energy sources; second a single type wherein only one renewable energy source supplies power to the dc Bus; third an inverter type wherein power is delivered to dc Bus from ac grid via inverter module, and fourth a battery type wherein power is delivered to dc Bus from batteries without renewable energy source. The integration of the dc Bus and a hybrid renewable power supply system is implemented and simulated using MATLAB/SIMULINK. A hybrid renewable power energy which integrates the solar energy, wind-power.

Download Article

Click here to download this article as a PDF.

Renewable energy sources, which are expected to be a promising alternative energy source, can bring new challenges when connected to the power grid. However, the generated power from renewable energy source is always fluctuating due to environmental conditions. In the same way, wind power injection into an electric grid affects the power quality due to the fluctuation nature of the wind and the comparatively new types of its generators. On the basis... MORE»

Latest in

1997, Vol. 1996/1997 No. 1
It is a paradox of modern day politics that an issue of such immense constitutional and practical significance to the future of Britain as that of further European integration, which excites such great activity amongst politicians, should be... Read Article »
1997, Vol. 1996/1997 No. 1
Much has changed in the past years yet we still have the same two dominant parties as we did in 1922. I do not intend to give a historical or purely ideological account but I intend to develop a greater understanding of the more recent changes... Read Article »
1997, Vol. 1996/1997 No. 1
Her Majesty the Queen Elizabeth’s visit to Aberystwyth, to open the new extension of the National Library of Wales, has predictably generated considerable furore in the local media, political circles and even the academe. The familiar siren... Read Article »
1997, Vol. 1996/1997 No. 1
When we commemorated the United Nations’ 50th anniversary last year, we all asked the question – what has the UN achieved and is it a living or a largely moribund organisation, buried by the bureaucracy and corruption which the media... Read Article »
1999, Vol. 1998/1999 No. 1
On the 14th of October 1998, Mr. Ted Rowlands, Labour MP for Merthyr Tydfil and Rhynmey, gave a brief talk on the Foreign Affairs Select Committee of which he is a member and took questions from students and staff of the International Politics... Read Article »
1999, Vol. 1998/1999 No. 2
In Issue 53 of Interstate, Peter Hand argued that the ‘Third Way’ was nothing but a well packaged combination of rhetoric and soundbites on the part of a government wholly obsessed by presentation.[1] Given the constraints of space... Read Article »
1999, Vol. 1998/1999 No. 2
The Christmas of 1998 will be seen by political pundits in years to come as the first crisis to assail the ‘New Labour’ government of Tony Blair. I myself, remember sitting at home, having just returned from a short walk with the... Read Article »