Improving Grid Power Quality With FACTS Device on Integration of Wind Energy System

By Yuvaraj V

Renewable energy sources, which are expected to be a promising alternative energy source, can bring new challenges when connected to the grid. However, the generated power from renewable energy source is always fluctuating due to environmental conditions. In the same way, wind power injection into an electric grid affects the power quality due to the fluctuation nature of the wind and the comparatively new types of its generators. On the basis of measurements and norms followed according to the guidelines specified in IEC-61400 (International Electro-technical Commission) standard, the performance of the wind turbine and thereby power quality are determined. The power arising out of the wind turbine when connected to a grid system concerning the power quality measurements, are: active power, reactive power, voltage sag, voltage swell, flicker, harmonics, and electrical behaviour of switching operation. These are measured according to national/international guidelines. This paper clearly shows the existence of power quality problem due to installation of wind turbines with the grid. In this proposed scheme a FACTS device {STATIC COMPENSATOR (STATCOM)} is connected at a point of common coupling with a battery energy storage system (BESS) to reduce the power quality problems. The battery energy storage system is integrated to support the real power source under fluctuating wind power. The FACTS Device (STATCOM) control scheme for the grid connected wind energy generation system to improve the power quality is simulated using MATLAB/SIMULINK in power system block set. The intended result of the proposed scheme relives the main supply source from the reactive power demand of the load and the induction generator. From the obtained results, we have consolidated the feasibility and practicability of the approach for the applications considered.

Download Article

Click here to download this article as a PDF.

Latest in

1997, Vol. 1996/1997 No. 1
It is a paradox of modern day politics that an issue of such immense constitutional and practical significance to the future of Britain as that of further European integration, which excites such great activity amongst politicians, should be... Read Article »
1997, Vol. 1996/1997 No. 1
Much has changed in the past years yet we still have the same two dominant parties as we did in 1922. I do not intend to give a historical or purely ideological account but I intend to develop a greater understanding of the more recent changes... Read Article »
1997, Vol. 1996/1997 No. 1
Her Majesty the Queen Elizabeth’s visit to Aberystwyth, to open the new extension of the National Library of Wales, has predictably generated considerable furore in the local media, political circles and even the academe. The familiar siren... Read Article »
1997, Vol. 1996/1997 No. 1
When we commemorated the United Nations’ 50th anniversary last year, we all asked the question – what has the UN achieved and is it a living or a largely moribund organisation, buried by the bureaucracy and corruption which the media... Read Article »
1999, Vol. 1998/1999 No. 1
On the 14th of October 1998, Mr. Ted Rowlands, Labour MP for Merthyr Tydfil and Rhynmey, gave a brief talk on the Foreign Affairs Select Committee of which he is a member and took questions from students and staff of the International Politics... Read Article »
1999, Vol. 1998/1999 No. 2
In Issue 53 of Interstate, Peter Hand argued that the ‘Third Way’ was nothing but a well packaged combination of rhetoric and soundbites on the part of a government wholly obsessed by presentation.[1] Given the constraints of space... Read Article »
1999, Vol. 1998/1999 No. 2
The Christmas of 1998 will be seen by political pundits in years to come as the first crisis to assail the ‘New Labour’ government of Tony Blair. I myself, remember sitting at home, having just returned from a short walk with the... Read Article »